The Prisoner Issue looks at the complex ways that justice and health are intertwined. This issue examines several issues at the intersection of justice and health, including:
- the rising incidents of seniors with dementia becoming entangled with the law, and what is and isn’t being done about it;
- the intergenerational effects of incarceration, from the intimate perspective of one prisoner’s daughter;
- what happens to the delicate balancing act between community safety and rehabilitation when those found not criminally responsible go AWOL from a mental health institution;
- the fragmented lives of those on remand—the sizable portion of the prison population in custody but still awaiting trial; and
- the experience of being openly gay in prison, a view from the inside.
The Prisoner Issue tackles these complex and challenging topics with humanity and artistry from a team of award-winning journalists and visual artists.