Creative Strategies Incubator 2016 Application Information
On January 21, 2016, close to 90 people from a cross section of performing arts organizations gathered for an information session hosted by Metcalf’s Performing Arts program. The purpose of the event was to discuss the 2016 Creative Strategies Incubator focus issue and application process.
The 2016 Creative Strategies Incubator focus issue is: Providing greater opportunities for artistic work to achieve its potential. Letters of interest are due on or before March 7, 2016.
Michael Trent, Director of Performing Arts, led the group through a three-part examination of the focus issue. The first part involved identifying what is meant by artistic work achieving its potential. Four areas were identified:
- reaching new people
- capitalizing on existing artistic assets
- reimagining creative processes
- other points along the creative arc: ideation, creative process, production, presentation or dissemination
The next part of the session focused on understanding underlying roadblocks or unrealized opportunities that are preventing artistic work from realizing its potential. These are specific and personal to each organization.
The third topic discussed was possible strategies to address barriers and unlock the potential. Five strategies were explored:
- creating new development processes
- brokering different types of relationships, collaborations, or relationships
- revisiting the existing repertoire
- inventing new models for commissioning
- other strategies not captured in the other four
Also highlighted was the need for organizations to outline, in their letter of interest, strategies that are actionable, measurable, and sustainable.
Thanks to guest speaker Shannon Litzenberger who joined us for the event. Shannon is a mentor for our 2013 and 2015 learning networks.