Job Posting: Communications Manager
The Metcalf Foundation is one of Canada’s leading private foundations. Our mission is to enhance the effectiveness of people and organizations working together to help Canadians imagine and build a just, healthy, and creative society. Our work is focused in three areas:
- Leveraging opportunities for new approaches and shared learning in the performing arts
- Building a low-carbon, resource efficient, and resilient Canada
- Improving economic livelihoods for low-income people in Toronto
The Foundation has an opening for a Communications Manager. This individual will conceive, create, and execute a variety of communications in keeping with the Foundation’s high standards of clarity, consistency, accessibility, and design. The position of Communications Manager works closely with all Foundation staff and reports to the President and CEO. It is a permanent position, four days a week, with the possibility for five days during certain periods of the year.
- Oversee the development of communication strategies that effectively support the Foundation’s work
- Establish and help maintain overall standards to ensure that communications are of the highest quality and are reaching appropriate audiences
- Ensure all information is up-to-date on the Foundation’s website and develop relevant content on a regular and timely basis
- Develop content, secure approvals, proof, and publish the Foundation’s quarterly newsletter
- Lead, plan, project manage, and successfully oversee creative concepts, content development, and production of the biennial report
- Develop and build relationships with media contacts and key influencers and create media plans (social and mainstream) as required to help achieve the highest impact for our work and our publications
- Support the program directors in planning, coordinating, and producing events, retreats, meetings, and webinars
- Create messaging for social media (Twitter, Facebook) and track and compile metrics and analytics on the Foundation’s online activities
- Manage specials projects as needed
- Share responsibility for database management and distribution lists and assist as needed with drafting or reviewing announcements, guidelines, messages, support materials etc.
- 10+ years’ relevant communications experience
- Experience developing communication strategies for complex issues
- Superb writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- A talent for strategic storytelling and for making complex ideas understandable and appropriate to specific audiences
- Proven ability to execute media plans and generate media interest
- Experience creating and managing website content, and producing and publishing newsletters
- Proven ability to plan and manage events
- Skilled with social media tools and analytics software
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to take initiative and work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, WordPress, MailChimp, Adobe Photoshop, and FileMaker Pro on Mac OS
Post-secondary education and a demonstrated interest or experience working with non-profit organizations are definite assets. Audio/visual experience, design skills, and familiarity with iMovie, Adobe Connect, and Adobe Creative Suite are also definite assets.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit an electronic resume and cover letter in MSWord or PDF format in one file to: email@example.com. Please include salary expectations in your cover letter. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Metcalf is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise Metcalf of the accommodation measures, if required, which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
June 23, 2017, 2:00 PM EDT